[WikiEN-l] Russian constitutional crisis of 1993 (some responses)

Abe Sokolov abesokolov at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 01:33:07 UTC 2004

shebs at apple.com wrote:

I have indeed compared your wording with the purported sources
(not on this article, but on others that we have discussed
previously), and there are significant differences.

Stan Shebs claims that there is a discrepancy between my work on Wikipedia
and my sources, yet he insults the intelligence of mailing list readers by
only offering this as evidence, "For instance, there was the episode where
Somoza was a dictator but Stalin was not, and then
where the Berlin Airlift was mainly a publicity stunt." [I've made over
10,000 edits to Wikipedia, so it's easy for someone with an ax to grind to
cherry-pick examples and then throw in gratuitous accusations]

(1) Stan Sheb's disingenuous claims of bias on the Berlin blockade and
airlift are emphatically refuted by Wikipedia's article on the Berlin
blockade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade), which I wrote.

(2) I shy away from the term "dictator" altogether on Wikipedia (see, e.g.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Fidel_Castro&diff=4721758&oldid=4721669)
I also changed the reference to Pinochet as a "dictator" to "military ruler"
on the in the news box on the main page several days ago. Yet, this matter
is more complicated than Stan Shebs is making it out to be (as usual).
Notice the following conversation taken from Talk:Fidel Castro:

::Not exactly. Dictator is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact,
so it's not POV (though some try to twist the facts). While Batista is
called a dictator in Britannica, BSE and probably other encyclopedias, Fidel
is not. Fidel is not a dictator, because no matter how popular he is, he
doesn't rule Cuba, the party  does (and people too). Batista, on the other
hand, was clearly a dictator (the second time he was in power) because of
the way he ruled. So I think we should call Batista a dictator, but not do
the same for Fidel. [[User:Paranoid|Paranoid]] 06:56, 23 Jul 2004 (UTC)
:::Good point, Paranoid. Cuba is a single party state, not a personalistic
regime. (Not to say that this is mutually exclusive. Ceausescu's Romania and
North Korea, where the power of the party was strongly subverted by the
leader, are considered "sultanistic" and "personalistic" regimes by a number
of prominent comparativists, e.g., Linz and Stepan, who have drawn from Max
Weber's concept of personalized power in a "sultanism.") However, many
Wikipedians aren't going to grasp these nuances, and will be suspicious that
the term is being applied arbitrarily. So, it's best to just shy away from
the term altogether, even in obvious cases, like the Somozas, Idi Amin, Papa
Doc and Baby Doc, Bokassa, Saddam Hussein, Mobutu, etc. [[User:172|172]]
07:38, 23 Jul 2004 (UTC)

Perhaps I might have slipped up a few times and referred to the "obvious
cases" (personalistic leaders) as dictators over the past year and a half
that I've been working on Wikipedia. Fair-minded users will put this in
context, tough, and note my substantial contributions to this site; note
that my articles tend to make the best use of references on Wikipedia (e.g.,
history of post-Soviet Russia has over 30); and note that I have garnered
praise even from fair-minded, conservative U.S. users for being able to
write neutrally on difficult, controversial topics (e.g., Franco-U.S.
relations).

In close, Stan is only bringing up these red herrings to distract everyone
from the real issue. He launched into a personal attack against me over my
work on Russian constitutional crisis of 1993 on the mailing list with no
evidence, no command of the facts, and no inclination to do any reading or
check the list of sources I added to the article. Once again, his
unwarranted defamation is a dishonor only to him, not to me.

-172