[WikiEN-l] Choosing the Featured Article (was: some questions)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Jul 23 12:33:21 UTC 2004

Anthony mentioned the idea of "a certain user [being] the accepted
dictator of a page" and I'd like to comment.

No one may assume ownership of an ordinary article, even if they have
acknowledged expertise in the field to which it pertains: science,
history, etc. I have just as much right to edit math articles as
Axelboldt does, for example.

But apparently we've given the job of choosing the "featured article" to
one particular user. I sure don't want the job, and I think he's been
pretty good at making his picks, so I have given my, er, "tacit
consent". So have a lot of other people, so there has apparently been a
"consensus" that he's in charge of that selection.

If Anthony wants to have a turn occasionally, why not? I think it was
poor form to TAKE a turn without prior discussion and to FORCE the issue
with multiple reverts. But that doesn't mean he should be forever barred
from making a Featured Article Choice.

Perhaps it's time to consider allowing other people to submit
recommendations, or even to take a turn (say, a week or a month at a
time) in the role of Chooser, eh?

Ed Poor
Bureaucrat