[WikiEN-l] Re: The Church of Scientology is discovered to have discovered Wikipedia!

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jul 15 16:26:09 UTC 2004

Sheldon Rampton wrote:
> As currently worded, this policy page contradicts itself.

I don't think it actually does, but I agree that it could be
clarified.

This part is perfectly fine:
> >If you are reasonably significant, someone will create an article
> >about you sooner or later. You are free to contribute to that
> >article, but please only add verifiable information and be
> >especially careful to respect the neutral point of view.

This part is fine, too:
> >Editing an article about yourself or your organization is also
> >generally considered improper and best avoided.

The idea here is that yes, you are free to contribute to an article
about yourself, but some people feel that it's unseemly to do so, and
therefore if you do, you should please only add verifiable information
and be especially careful to respect NPOV.

> Strictly speaking, it isn't true that the "Church of Scientology" has
> discovered Wikipedia. A church is an inanimate object that doesn't
> "discover" things. What has happened is that some *members* of the
> church of Scientology have discovered Wikipedia. But how is this
> different from having members of the Catholic or Mormon Church edit
> articles about their particular religions?

I agree.  I'm not too worried about it, frankly.  Our articles should
not slam the Church of Scientology, nor repeat false stories about
them, nor do anything of the sort.  And so long as we don't do that, I
have every confidence that they will accept an NPOV presentation of
their philosophy and of controversies surrounding them.

--Jimbo