[WikiEN-l] NPOV

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:20:08 UTC 2004

I guess I need to be clearer about  my remarks on NPOV and
history.  Basically, I was just trying to show how RK's attempts could be
reduced to more basic principles.

Fred, I don't exactly see how my approach is taking Reform Judaism's
view.  Of course, an article on "Judaism" needs to provide Reform as well
as other (Orthodox, etc.) views.  Views of Jews from the past (tannaim,
amoraim, saducees) do not necessarily support Reform's POV.  Also, the
notion that Judaism itself has a history is not specifically Reform.  I am
not a Reform Jew nor an expert on Reform Judaism.  I do know that in the
19th century Reform Judaism was characterized by seeing Judaism as a
religion; claiming a connection with the prophetic tradition; renouncing
ritual laws and elevating ethical laws; having services in the vernacular
-- I don't see how a study of history necessarily leads to any of these
positions.  What I was trying to say was that any article should show how
current elements of Judaism (to stick to his example) -- Reform, Orthodox,
Conservative, Reconstructionist -- came to be.  I don't see how or why
"history" should privilege any one of these over an other.

If I understand Charles's point, I guess it goes without saying: sometimes
people disagree over what historical facts are relevant, or how to
interpret them.  In such cases, where there are multiple histories or
interpretations of history, our NPOV policy requires that we make room for
all major views.  I don't think anything I wrote precludes an article from
saying "no one is sure how this came to be," or "critical scholars and
theologians have diverging views of the history of this development" or
something like this.  By the way, I worked a lot on the Jesus article,
putting in views of critical scholars.  At times there were conflicts among
editors over what to include and how.  Personally, though, I think it is
now one of Wikipedia's best articles, at least as far as NPOV goes.  It
provides the kind of historical account I think RK is talking about, but
provides it in a way, and alongside other accounts, that is NPOV and that
-- so far -- Christian contributors accept.

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701