[WikiEN-l] Fork risk (was Re: Google ads)

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jul 15 14:30:56 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:
> If a Wikimedia chapter wants to buy servers for their language wiki to
> avoid slow, poor-quality service or site-wide advertising, then we
> should give them our blessing.

I would oppose this idea very strongly.  One of the most important
things for the future of the project is, indeed, to avoid forks.  But
encouraging the division of ownership of the servers would absolutely
be a solid path to internal division and forking.

I remain opposed to advertising on the wikiepedia, period.  I can't
really emphasize that enough.

--Jimbo