[WikiEN-l] Re: Google ads

phil hunt zen19725 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 21:02:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:04:05 -0400, Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:

>To answer a few lingering Google-ad Q's -- if Google thinks it's being gamed
>by clickthroughs from your site, it can shut off your account.  It also retains
>the ability to freeze your Google-ad account balance if it thinks you
>or your site visitors have been gaming it, iirc.

Indeed it does.

Has anyone contacted Google to see what they think of opt-in
adverts? I think they might break the AdServe terms of service, in
that Google might see opt-in as encouraging people to click on the
ads to make money for Wikipedia, not because people are interested
in the ads.

However, Wikipedia is quite a high-traffic website, which would
probably give it a reasonable level of clout in any negotiations
with Google.

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)