[WikiEN-l] Google ads and other ramblings by Chris

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 16:18:39 UTC 2004

--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> A conservative estimate (in my experience, which is valid I think)
> of
> how much revenue we could generate with Google Adwords or similar,
> i.e. no banners, no flashing lights, no popups, would be around $1
> per
> thousand.  So a billion pageviews a month generates at least $1
> million per month.  Even with the ability for people who hate ads
> opt-out with a single click, the revenue would be substantial.

That, or if 120,000 people donate $100 per year.

I suggest the latter would be easier to achieve.

By the way, has anyone done any car/window stickers for wikipedia?
Donate $10, get a sticker. Put it on your car or bathroom window,
give it to a friend, whatever.

in the same vein, would it be possible to have publishing on demand?
The way I see it is this: I want to make a booklet with anything in
the airline/airplane category. Can I pay $12.95 and have a TeX
formatted PDF report mailed to my house with the 60-90+articles
related to that? (I just know the technical know-how to do that is to
be found here. But it could be outsourced)

I think that would be cool and would allow for a greated
dissemination of the Wikipedia brand. And perhaps the National
Georgraphic-type ads could go in that. After reading a re-reading, I
could leave it in a strategic place for passerbys to see/pickup.

Just putting the idea out there.

=====
Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell