[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia in the news

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 14 16:13:52 UTC 2004

Sheldon Rampton wrote:
> The bottom line, though, is that an encyclopedia article shouldn't
> have errors of grammar *or* fact. I know some respected university
> scholars who have problems with spelling and grammar, but before
> their writings get published, someone fixes those problems. An
> article in the Wikipedia that has problems with spelling and grammar
> clearly hasn't been through the level of review that goes into a
> student's term paper, let alone an article for the Encyclopedia
> Britannica.

Absolutely right.

I think right now we have a situation of very high average quality
(esp. for articles over a certain length), but with some very
important weaknesses.  That's going to be the goal of a review
process: to address those weaknesses while at the same time respecting
and working with our community model.

I'm generally in agreement with what Erik Moeller says about this.
That is, I think that it is best if one way or another our review
process grows organically from our existing traditions of review for
featured articles.

--Jimbo