[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia in the news

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 13 16:05:41 UTC 2004

Sean Barrett wrote:

> Timwi wrote:
>
>> Sheldon Rampton wrote:
>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, I clicked the "Random page" link a few times.
>>> Out of ten articles, I found five stubs, two of which had frequent
>>> grammatical errors. [...]
>>> My little experiment isn't sufficient to serve as the basis for any
>>> conclusions, but if two out of ten articles are grammatically-flawed
>>> stubs, [...]
>>
>> Concluding factual inaccuracy or unreliability from mere grammatical
>> imperfection is fallacious and prejudicial.
>
> On the contrary, it is a safe assumption that someone who is careless
> about grammar and spelling is also careless about factual accuracy.

There's nothing safe about that assumption at all.  Perhaps the writer
is not a native English speaker.  Written output disorder is also very
common.  A person with that may have his substantive facts perfeclty
straight, but be completely clueless about proper grammar.  There are
also places where the educational system disastrously allows any way of
writing and spelling to be taken as correct.

Ec