[WikiEN-l] Categories for images?

Matthew Trump wikipedia at decumanus.com
Tue Jul 13 13:55:46 UTC 2004

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the past, but I have been
wondering about categories for images.

I have been wanting to categorize some of the images I've contributed
(mostly home-made maps). It seemed highly desirablet o me to create
separate categories, for images only, so that we don't have "mixed"
categories of both articles and images, which would be quite ugly and
not very useful at all.

There is no "Category:Maps" right now. I thought of making one, with
subcategories such as "Category:Historical maps" etc. Then it occured
to me that those categories might be best used for *articles* about
well-known maps (such articles exist), like the [[Zeno map]] article
for exaple.

So what do people think about this situation. I think images are
worth categorization. Should there be a separate namespaces, or
should this done within the current system of categorization (I would
prefer the latter personally). A bit of policy would be helpful here.

Matt [[User:Decumanus]]