[WikiEN-l] IP blocked, and e-mail is not being accepted

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 22:36:33 UTC 2004

I tried to edit an article on Wikipedia today, but I found
that my IP had been blocked due to the actions of an
anonymous user:

> The reason given is this: 24-hour block for blanking
> user page of user who submitted page to VfD, and then
> repeating this behavior from multiple IP addresses
> You can email The Anome
</wiki/Special:Emailuser/The_Anome>
> or one of the other administrators to discuss the block.

Ok. Someone was bad, and they got blocked. Here's the
problem. The Anome aparently has no e-mail address set up!
When I go to The Anome's User page to e-mail him, I get
this response:

> "This user has not specified a valid e-mail address,
> or has chosen not to receive e-mail from other users"

Kind of ironic, since the message says that e-mail should
be sent to him! :)

> If you believe that our blocking policy was violated,
> you may discuss the block publicly on the WikiEN-L
> mailing list

I don't have a problem with the blocking of this IP; if
that kind of problem appeared, then a 24 block is fine. The
policy is good; The problem is that some other contributors
(like me) can't edit, and we can't e-mail the Anome as we
are told to. So this is a situation that someone should
know about. (And many people in my city use my ISP, so many
people are potentially blocked.)

> Your IP address is 209.247.222.84. Please include this
> address in any queries you make.

Done. Any suggestions?

Could we come up with a way of people with known Wikipedia
accounts getting around such blocks? Or is such a solution
already extant?

Thanks for your time,

Robert (RK)