[WikiEN-l] Should Wikipedia endorse or oppose mass murder?

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 6 16:06:10 UTC 2004

Christopher Mahan wrote

> Does W oppose hatred? I don't think so. We're like journalists in a
> war. We take neither side, and rather strive to give balanced and
> non-point of view accounts of the events and circumstances.

Hang on there.  David Gerard may be right to argue that if Wikipedia is to
treat any postings as if they really constituted 'incitement', then the
grounds have to be watertight in a way that is not so easy to be.  That
doesn't mean that we can't argue that in the text of Wikipedia there is an a
fortiori reason or ten not to have anything promoting hatred.  The NPOV is
for the text; one has to believe that promoting NPOV is what a conflict like
say Northern Ireland's Troubles needs.  Otherwise WP would seem like a bad
idea.  But none of that means that WP's collective values are 'relativist'
or hands-off.  A scholar can be scrupulous but also a passionate believer in
values that are not intentionally or propagandistically pushed in what he or
she writes.

Charles