[WikiEN-l] Re: thank you

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 10:13:05 UTC 2004

Lir,

I think that unfortunately, whatever the rules you might breach or not breach, and whatever Jimbo wish that you be plainly welcome back as a member with full editing rights, it is unfortunately a fact that many members of the english wikipedia are not happy with you being a participant. And admittedly, your attitude just does not help convince them that the benefits you are bringing Wikipedia balance the drawbacks. It might help that you adopt a more positive stance, perhaps not always criticizing so much volunteers for being either too quick or too slow, or too rude or too polite, or too bold or not daring enough. May I suggest that if you want to be treated in an appropriate manner, you might perhaps think carefully about what is appropriate and what is not.

Your issue has everything to do with sockpuppets, as Guanaco thought you were these sockpuppets (perhaps guidelines indicating how the community decides that this one is a sock puppet or is not...though we know nothing can really be proved), and as Guanaco also thought sockpuppets were illegal (so perhaps guidelines indicating what is illegal for a sock puppet to do, and what is legal would be good).

Policies such as this one should be designed at community level. This is *not* the board job to do so *at all*. There must be a discussion on the wiki itself, with wikipedians, and I guess Sannse can help on this. Or whoever feels that sock puppet management has become a very painful matter now. Also, both Sannse and Ed are members of the MC, and Ed proposed to help you. This was your choice not to accept the proposal.

I will add perhaps boldly that, regardless to rules and policies, belonging to a community is essentially being "accepted" by it, with defaults and qualities. It is more a feeling, a perception. But qualities should always compensate defaults. Most of the time, there is no need of crossing the name of a person on the membership list. Banning is really the final indication that a community reject someone, and has to do so officially, but before that happens, a few signs are meaningful and may indicate to a "member" that he might consider just moving on.

C A S [name omitted for privacy reasons] <a[name omitted for privacy reasons]@msn.com> wrote:
*would like you to cool down and allow time for things to proceed.
**As if, you've had months and months to lift your fingers -- you never intend to do anything.

*This week end, we had a meeting in Paris, so essentially, Angela, Jimbo and I were unavailable.
**If you are too busy, resign from the board/mediation committee and let someone else do the job.

*Was that it had been a not very good move from Guanaco, misunderstanding from his part, but mostly unclear policy with regards to sock puppets.
**It has nothing to do with sock puppets; no evidence has been shown that Yuna or YES was a sockpuppet of mine. Regardless of the rules regarding sockpuppets, I don't have one!

*Sannse agreed to try to work with others on this policy, so that things are clearer. I thought this was essentially your request
**I don't want "Sannse" working with others -- I want the Wikimedia board to get off its ass and start demanding sysops treating regular users in an appropriate manner.

*I have no idea of the last events, and frankly, right now, really no time to look at it.
**Resign Anthere, resign -- nothing is getting done because you don't have time, and nobody else can do it because you are hogging too many important positions.

*I suggest that you explain what happened to the arbitration committee if you really feel that it is important.
**The Arbitration Committee refuses to speak with me.