[WikiEN-l] Re: Mass murder results from exhortation

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 5 00:13:47 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

>Most of use are aware of RK's overreaction to various matters. His
>idiosyncratic behavior gives no one else license to engage in anti-semitism. He can be predicted to go overboard on this too, but that should not stand in the way of a sound, conservative policy which sanctions hate speech.

This is a pet peeve of mine, but there is a world of difference between
a policy that sanctions hate speech, and a policy that imposes sanctions
against hate speech. I don't know if you will succeed in getting the
latter, but if we had the former then many of RK's posts would not be an
overreaction at all.

To sanction can mean to authorize or approve; it can also mean to
penalize. In order to clarify which meaning is intended, one must
provide the appropriate context when using the word.

--Michael Snow