[WikiEN-l] Some thoughts after some time out

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 21:47:24 UTC 2004

>> NPOV never covered false statements such as Wheeler
>> made about the Jewish concentration camps of the Gulag.
>> If you think it did you were mistaken. Such a statement
>> would be acceptable only in the context of identifying
>> it as an anti-semitic statement.

> I wouldn't have thought so. I'd like to hear RK's
> opinion on the topic in general before feeling my
> qualms are addressed. He already considers page
> protection evidence of anti-Semitism.

Who in the blazes told you that?!  I've got news for you:
Pages are protected on Wikipedia all the time. I never
called suchprotection racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic,
anti-American, or anything else. What you have beem told
about me has been exagerrated to the point of caricature.
Why? Because some people want to avoid the issue on the
rare articles (out of over 100,000) when they do arise.

If some people added anti-American propaganda and rhetoric
to an article, and then protected the page, then that
specific set of actions would be anti-American agitation,
and it should be condemned as such. Similarly, if some
people added anti-Jewish or anti-gay propaganda and
rhetoric, and then protected the page, then that specific
set of actions would be anti-Semitic or homophobic
agitation, and it should be condemned as such. Note that
this line of thought has been echoed by others (not just
me) and that it bears no resemblance to what you think I
believe.

By the way, I have over 300 articles on my "Watchlist", and
I have seen many of these articles get protected. I also
have seen some rather large flame wars on many of them,
most of which I have chosen to ignore. In recent months,
how many of times did I see someone do something
anti-Jewish within an article?  One article...out of *three
hundred*.  (Wheeler's attacks were in a Talk page.)

Heck, although I look at many of these 300 "Watch"
articles, I just took a couple of months off from Wikipedia
because (a) I had time-consuimg outside concerns (good
things, mostly) and (b) I didn't have the energy or desire
to get involved in flame wars. Wikipedia could probably
cool down a bit if others took off for a week or a month
every now and then. I've done it before, I'll do it again;
I can even reccomend it. Heck, people who can't take time
off are too tightly wound up in this project (like...Mr
Natural Health.)

Robert

=====
"No one is poor except he who lacks knowledge....A person who has knowledge has everything.  A person who lacks knowledge, what has he? Once a person acquires knowledge, what does he lack?  [Babylonian Talmud, Nedarim, 41a]