[WikiEN-l] in the last year hatespeech seems to have become acceptable

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Sun Jul 4 13:37:26 UTC 2004

Robert wrote:
> Sean B. writes:
>
>>Please explain to me how speech can kill someone.
>>For extra credit, explain how words on a Web page can do
>>any physical harm.
>

> Do you really not know the answer? Ok, I will answer your
> question honestly, and accurately:
>
> Many people used to say and write "I hate the fucking Jews.
> Kill the Jews". Then some people did kill Jews.

People?  Wait a minute, we were talking about words killing someone!
Where'd these people come from?

> Many people used to say and write "I hate the fucking
> niggers. Kill the niggers". Then some people did kill
> blacks.

People?  Wait a minute, we were talking about words killing someone!
Where'd these people come from?

> Many people used to say and write "I hate the fucking
> queers. Kill the quuers". Then some people did kill
> homosexuals.

People?  Wait a minute, we were talking about words killing someone!
Where'd these people come from?

> In the real world, repeated hateful words often lead to
> violent actions. Anyone who claims otherwise is a poor
> liar.

Nobody that I know of is claiming that.  The claim was that words alone,
with no help from anyone, were killing people.

--
  Sean Barrett     | Space isn't remote at all. It's only a
  sean at epoptic.com | couple hours' drive away if your car