[WikiEN-l] Re: WHEELER's anti-Semitism

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Sun Jul 4 12:58:26 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

> The words, "Charge!" have worked historically. "Fire!" works well too. The
> codes necessary to activate and fire a nuclear missile would better be
> described as data. To address the matter at hand, hate speech is the social
> equivalent of the crime "inciting to riot". If people believe such things as
> the fabrications in The Protocols of the Elders of Zion (in general
> circulation in some Arab countries) they can be expected to take action.

Close, but no cigar.

"Charge" doesn't kill people, pointy objects held by charging people --
who have free will and are therefore responsibile agents -- kill people.

"Fire" doesn't kill people, boots of panicky people -- who have free
will and are therefore responsibile agents -- kill people.

"The Protocols of Zion" don't kill people, imbeciles who were looking
for a target anyway -- who have free will and are therefore responsibile
agents -- kill people.

I have yet to encounter a sound or a spot of ink on a page that could
cause a human heart to stop beating.  Every counter-example that has
ever been presented to me has involved the intermediation of a
responsible agent.  In short, words don't kill people, people kill
people.  And in my arrogant opinion, blaming a word for a person's
action is cowardly.

--
  Sean Barrett     | Space isn't remote at all. It's only a
  sean at epoptic.com | couple hours' drive away if your car