[WikiEN-l] WHEELER's anti-Semitism

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 19:30:34 UTC 2004

I agree.  See Rienzo's disgusting anti-gay hate speech that he spewed onto my Talk page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk%3ARickK&diff=4358967&oldid=4358636

RickK

"steven l. rubenstein" <rubenste at ohiou.edu> wrote:
4) Wikipedia should not tolerate hate speech.  I think an open society should limit such regulation as much as possible. Some people have pointed out that even WHEELER has a right to free speech.  I agree.  But that does not mean that someone can say whatever they like, here.  We should tolerate a certain level of offensive remarks as unavoidable byproducts of heated exchanges, just as we should tolerate a high level of ultimately empty chatter on talk pages as necessary byproducts of the editing process.  We should certainly encourage controversy.  But there is simply no benefit to Wikipedia from hate speech, and there is no need for us to provide people with an outlet for hate speech.   God knows, there are plenty of other outlets on the internet for that.  For the same reason, there should be no need for me to go (as one person suggested) to an attorney general to try to prosecute WHEELER for hate speech.  What WHEELER wrote may very well be legal -- so he can write it elsewhere.
 I just don't want to see someone use Wikipedia as a vehicle for hate speech.  Wikipedia policy is not nor should be the same thing as state or federal law.

Steve