[WikiEN-l] Re: Re: American concepts of justice

Dan Drake dd at dandrake.com
Fri Jul 2 17:28:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:32:18 UTC, Ray Saintonge
<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> Dan Drake wrote:
>
> >Actually, I considered putting a disclaimer in the posting, but thought it
> >would be a waste.  Wrong again.  I need to be more ultra-patriotic
> >American, and assume that any praise of anything in my country will be
> >taken as an attack on the world, foreigners being quite unable (like all
> >too many Americans) to understand such subtleties.
> >

> Ultra-patriotism is one thing that will unite non-Americans of any
> political stripe anywhere.  Praising what is right is perfectly
> acceptable to many of us foreigners.  Just try to avoid gratuitous
> superlatives; they are not subtle. :-)

I quite agree.  In fact, ultra-patriotism of any kind will offend people
everywhere, including America (*).  It's not clear to me, though, why you
admonish me in this way.  It will surely have been clear that the post
(from which you chose to cite only a paragraph of sarcasm so heavy-handed
that perhaps I should apologize for it), as well as previous posts in this
thread, went to some trouble to avoid superlatives.

(*) Not all, of course.  Some people approve of ultra-patriotism of the
_proper_ sort, here as elsewhere.  By the way, thanks for giving us le mot
juste for such people; I infer that chauvinism is not unknown in the
country which M. Chauvin had the honor (insofar as he was real, and
separated from the mythology) to live in.