[WikiEN-l] Forget mentoring systems, we need a web of trust

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 18:44:15 UTC 2004

--- Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> Just as something for all to think about, for the last couple of months,
> I've been making edits to WP from work without logging in. I'm not adding
> anything controversial thru my "sock puppet" -- unless fixing typos & bad
> grammar is considered insidiously pushing a POV -- & I would rather not
> draw my employer's attention to my online activities between 8:00 &
> 5:00 (after all, I should be working ;-).

If you are editing from work then your employer's IP address (which is probably
assigned just to your work computer) will be displayed. *That* makes you much
less anonymous. I see nothing wrong with having a separate account for this
type or thing so long as you don't double vote, agree with yourself on talk
pages, or use it in an edit war.

> However, I just noticed today that I've managed to make something like
> 70 edits from a single IP address, & no one's seemed to notice. Not that
> I care, but one has to wonder how many more anonymous contributors are
> quietly working away on a regular basis, adding positively to Wikipedia
> without anyone noticing.

Lots (especially small copyedits and adding interlanguage links). But most of
our vandalism and other newbie behavior also comes from IP addresses, meaning
people on RC patrol have to check *each* one (lots of duplicated effort). A
unified log-in system will cut down on the proportion of good anon edits vs bad
simply by displaying user name's of people who are adding interlanguage links.

But what we really need is a way to share the workload by excluding or graying
out and reducing the font size of edits in a special RC once they have been
viewed more than x times (3 perhaps) by a certain group of users (a preference
choice between admins or non-newbie logged-in users would be nice, for
example). To be maximally useful, this would have to be applied to the newbie
RC that Brion gave a link to and the anon RC as well.

In the long term though, we need a web of trust system where each logged-in
user can select the people they trust and even the people whose trust opinions
they trust - thus trusting by proxy. See
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2004-February/014300.html

Somebody created a page in the Wikipedia namespace about this, but I can't find
it. :(

But baby steps first since I understand the coding and the computing power
needs of such a web of trust would be significant. An enhanced newbie/anon RC,
as described above, should work real well in the meantime. As it is, I rarely
look at RC anymore since there are way too many edits (20 a minute is not
uncommon). I simply get bored reviewing edits since the great majority of them
(by volume) are good. But since the volume of edits is so great, even a small
percentage of bad edits will result in a lot of damage in an absolute sense. So
we need to work on ways to share the workload and reduce duplicated effort -
otherwise RC burnout will become more common.

-- mav