[WikiEN-l] American concepts of justice (was: Rules vs. Anarchy)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Jul 1 12:25:34 UTC 2004

Dan Drake wrote,

> Well, I wasn't trying to start a discussion of what Americans
> are really
> like; quite the reverse.  But I think both of these positions
> are largely
> right, as was the one I expressed before.  Here's the
> amazing, unheard-of
> secret: not all Americans think alike all the time.  That was
> the point of my post.
>
> Still, consider this: a person may believe that his country
> does something better than most of the world does (to be
> concrete, let's take the matter
> of having an independent judiciary that is largely in the
> hands of people
> who understand the concept of due process of law and even
> approve of it),
> and he may even be right; but when he comes face to face with
> the places
> that really are worse, the reality may be shocking.  Thus I
> reconcile the
> two positions.

Dan, would you please weave this insight into a Wikipedia article about
America or Americans? Or start a new article called [[American concepts
of justice]]? Or maybe put this into [[independent judiciary]], as part
of a series on [[American government]]?

I think it's important for the Wikipedia articles to reflect that fact
that many Americans take just the attitude you described above:

  that America "does something better than most of the world does" by
  "having an independent judiciary that is largely in the hands of
people
  who understand the concept of due process of law and even approve of
it"

Ed Poor