[WikiEN-l] Policy Suggestions

Ira Stoll irastoll at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 00:48:51 UTC 2004

I am really impressed with the quality (and sunstance) of the debate on
this. I agree with Rick that citations can get out of hand, and I also agree
with others, who say that "non-clickable" citations are also quite good
(references to books, or other sources of information).
This is what I want: a hierarchy of citations. If it ever gets to the point
(I think it VERY rarely will) where an article has too many citations,
making it take up too much room, or it clutters too much (this would seem to
be aleviated by putting them at the bottom of the page, but whatever) then
you simply raise the standard. As I said in my original suggestion, the
quality expected of citations should be based on the number of them
presented. What is REALLY important to me is that differing citations be
allowed, so long as they are from reliable sources (and such reliability
should be based on the investigations of interested parties, perhaps even a
"citation arbitration board" could be formed, if ever needed, to judge
qualities of citations) and that differing interpretations be allowed,
expressing that "some hold XYZ POV based on ABC interpretation of [1]
information, but others...". This would be wonderful, and would definately
improve the information quality, as well as the egalitarian acceptance of
all legitamate (based on citation) POV's as being legitamately worth hearing
(and IMO, drastically reduce disputes among non-troll editors). I am NOT
saying everything needs to be cited, only things which are disputed should
have to be. But the more citations the better, IMO. JackLynch