[WikiEN-l] Potentially offensive pictures

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sun Jan 11 01:25:32 UTC 2004

Christopher Mahan wrote:

>On the whole discussion on pictures:
>
>What about pictures of:
>  Dead, bloody people (common on european TV)
>  Drug paraphenalia
>  Step by step bomb making
>  Dangerous animals
>  Deformed lifeforms from genetic experiments
>  Injured people from combat (limbs tangled, guts spilled, heads
>disfigured)
>  Medical pictures of diseased bodypart
>  Election proceedings (hello PRC)
>  War crimes (remember the photo of the US officer executing a
>vietnamese during the vietnam war?)
>  Sexual acts, such as penetration, arousal, nipple clamps, bondage,
>etc.
>  Domestic violence
>  Aborted Foetuses

Of the ones you cited, I think the great majority should be included
with "click here for a photo of [blah]", not inline in articles.  I do
not generally want to see a graphic picture of an aborted fetus even if
I am reading an article on abortion; if I wish to do so, I am quite
capable of clicking on the link to display the image.  I see no benefit
to forcing our readers to see images they may not wish to see based on a
highly POV claim that they are "normal" images that they should not be
offended by.

-Mark