[WikiEN-l] Effective bullying strategy.

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jan 9 13:24:54 UTC 2004

No one needs to be banned over this, but it is obvious to me from a
review of the history that it is Danny and Zero0000 who have
misbehaved and ought to apologize and (more importantly) change their
editing strategy.

VfD is completely broken.  I say that here for emphasis because I
think we really should get rid of it entirely.

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> A while ago, [[Palestinian views of the peace process]] was placed
> on Votes for deletion and deleted.

I think that was obviously a mistake and is a good example of what's
broken about the VfD concept.  "Palestinian views of the peace
process" is absolutely a valid topic for an article, and the solution
to any alleged NPOV problems is not to delete it, but to fix it.

The result hoped for -- that deleting information you don't like from
Wikipedia will eliminate a controversy is clearly not happening.

> RK has insisted on keeping the material, so he placed it into
> [[Israeli-Palestinian conflict]]. It has been removed repeatedly by
> Zero and myself for NPOV violations--the same violations that caused
> it to be deleted as an independent article in the first place.

You are wrong to do this.  Here is an example of an edit of yours
that is wrong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Israeli-Palestinian_conflict&diff=2104428&oldid=2103857

You removed a huge section of text because you don't want people to
learn the information that it contains.

> I am saying this because I would ask that someone look at RK's edit
> history last night. Zero and I are listed in Vandalism in progress
> and RK is making ad hominem attacks against us. It is tiresome. It
> is also a statement that if you scream loud enough and bully enough
> people, you will get your way. I wonder whether this is the message
> that we want to get across to cranks.  Danny

You and Zero0000 are at least as guilty in this instance than RK.
Zero0000 did a mass deletion and called it "trash".  You called that
section of the article "biased POV rubbish" and alleged that RK merely
put it there to "support your rightwing agenda".  I see no material
difference between these allegations and what RK wrote, i.e. thinks
like "DO NOT just savagely delete huge amounts of Wikipedia beacuse
you have left-wing political views."

I think that RK is factually correct when he writes "Danny is
hysterically out of control."  It is wrong of him to use that sort of
language in an article dispute, even though you and Zero0000 started
it.  (Actually, reviewing the page history since Dec. 21, 2003, I see
that Zero0000 was the first to engage in personal attacks -- you just
piled on later.)

--Jimbo