[WikiEN-l] Re: Trading with the Enemy

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 29 22:27:08 UTC 2004

>Look.  Somebody made a crack that the United States is "undemocratic".  I
responded with a completely truthful post.  There is absolutely nothing in
what I said that was libelous, nor even incorrect.  It's common practice on
Wikipedia to make attacks on the United States, but it's unacceptable when
Americans (yes, that's the term) respond with anything other than a cowering
"yes, we're evil."

RickK

I didn't say anything there was libelous, or incorrect.  My word was
'cheap'.  I'm in the UK, we have an Official Secrets Act.  Anthere disputes
your claim on the 'illegality' of criticising the French government (we have
had another ill-informed post on that).  I'll leave aside what you said on
Germany, for reasons well known in Usenet discussions.

These are _not_ the knock-down arguments you seem to think they are.  They
seem more like a blind need to hit back with anything at hand.

I have had the advantage of having worked in the USA for a year.  Can I just
make one point?  Wikipedia is not, actually, about American national
identity.

Charles