[WikiEN-l] Re: Trading with the Enemy

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Feb 29 19:10:27 UTC 2004

Jake Nelson wrote:

>I believe recent discussion (ie, the posts starting this thread) pointed out
>that the US is very far from perfect on these matters. Just because people
>are pointing out that France has some very nasty laws doesn't somehow make
>the US legal code's flaws go away.
>And a statement isn't libel if it's true.
>Frankly, if you don't want repressive laws on information and free
>discourse, you're limited to places like Sealand.

The problem is not just the flaws in the U.S. system, but that the
United States actively promotes itself as the archetype of democratic
virtue.  Those of us who are outside of the United States do not see the
President of the United States as the leader of the "free world"; we see
him only as the leader of those countries in the free world where the
majority voted for him.

Citizens of other countries resent the dictatorship of a foreign tyrant
far more than that of a home-grown tyrant.

A little humility goes a long way.

Ec