[WikiEN-l] Concise Print Wikipedia is a Fork

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sat Feb 28 20:53:09 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>>One example of the difference is in internal references
>>(or q.v. entries). Even if the 'news style' first section
>>approach is used, the first section of the full Wikipedia
>>article would contain links to articles that don't exist in
>>the concise version.
>>

>Oh come on. That is easy to fix - don't mark what would be dead links in a
>concise version as anything special. This could be done automatically.

But we also often use links to be explanatory, which isn't appropriate
for print.  On Wikipedia we can say "follower of [[so-and-so]]", but in
print, you really should say "follower of [[so-and-so]], who was
blah-blah-blah".

Of course, the non-fork solution is to make Wikipedia articles like
that.  Which I do to some extent, because I don't like, even on the web,
the idea of having to click through to another article to make sense of
the current one.  But it's a massive task, as currently a lot of
Wikipedia articles are not fully intelligible on their own, without the
links.

-Mark