[WikiEN-l] Concise Print Wikipedia is a Fork

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 14:55:19 UTC 2004

Jimbo wrote:
>I'm not yet convinced that there's any need
>for it, but we really need some wordcount
>statistics to have a grasp of what would be
>needed.

As of Feb 26, 2004 there were 66.7 million words in the English Wikipedia
(217,000 articles; 2214 characters/article).
Source: http://www.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/Sitemap.htm

Encyclopædia Britannica's 2002 edition (a full general encyclopedia) has 55
million words (85,000 articles; 3882 characters/article).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_comparisons

Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition (a concise encyclopedia) has a word count
of 6.5 million words (51,000 articles;  765 characters/article).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_comparisons

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)