[WikiEN-l] Print edition - Publisher Discussion Points

limholt at excite.com limholt at excite.com
Sat Feb 28 14:52:15 UTC 2004

Some of these have been raised before, I've included them again. Others are new, and the list is in no particular order or implied importance.

1. Dates - when does a final 'first draft' need to be at the publishers? There are sub-points:

1.A. - If we miss that date but deliver a worthwhile product, do they still want to publish? Or do they want to wait to Holiday's 2005?

1.B - If they don't pursue do we (Wikimedia or a sub) have right to shop for another publisher?

1. C. - Penalty for non-performance?

2. For talking purposes: What is their view of final size and scope: Number of Articles, Pages, Words?

3. We will, of course, keep each finished article on-line. And may update them after publication.

4. Does Wikimedia keep rights to republish 2nd (3rd....) edition? On what terms do we extend the contract?

.5. How often may publisher reprint without updating? I don't think either party would want to see a January, 2005 reprint that still lacked 2004 election results.

6. Formatting of delivered material? PDF, MS-Word, etc.?

7. Tentative schedule and turnaround for proofs, galleys, etc.?

8. A Formal title (e.g. Wikipedia Concise Encyclopedia, Wikimedia C E, etc.). My suggestion is that the Wikipedia or Wikimedia name stays first, and we keep rights to any other names such as the Wikimedia Almanac.

9. Intended primary audience: U.S. or wider, what about Canada, U.K., Australia, etc.? To a certain extent this will influence the choice of articles.

Just a summary so far.

Lou Imholt (aka LouI)