[WikiEN-l] Trading with the Enemy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Sat Feb 28 14:23:34 UTC 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/28/national/28PUBL.html

I just assumed that Fred was joking or exaggerating about what this
story says.  But he's reporting it accurately.

I will say that we should cautious about believing all the quotes in
the story.  One of the scholars quoted suggests that this sort of
editing "would constitute aiding and abetting the enemy".  I very much
doubt if that's accurate.  I don't think that violating a trade
embargo would lead to that sort of charge (treason) exactly.

As for me personally, I intend to just plain and simple ignore this as
bureaucratic fantasy.  I can't imagine this passing constitutional
muster for even a second.  I defy the government to bring a case
against me or any of you or the Wikimedia Foundation over this.
They'll look like complete idiots and be laughed out of court.

--Jimbo