[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 27 11:07:51 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote

> We need to consider the way that the work is organized.

I'm a published author, and (more to the point) saw my 'Teach Yourself Go'
(Hodder Headline/NTC) through all stages from an outline template through to
the book on a zip disk ready for the printers. I'd like to say this, about
the copy editing and proof reading stage - I really don't think it can be
done live on Wikipedia, in a meaningful way.  It would really have to be the
case that any publisher started with the Wikipedia text and let loose a team
of pro copy editors to hack it into some sort of shape.  From the
publishers' point of view this is probably only feasible for cost by having
people work from home; but that is hardly a Wikipedia concern.

It is really easy to come up with a list of issues of consistency, mark-up,
demarcation of areas and so on.  I find it hard to believe this can
fruitfully be discussed here, though.

By the way, this is good, positive news, to add to the new servers (which
have hardly been mentioned here).

Charles