[WikiEN-l] relevant passages in tornado

Plautus Satire plautus at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 27 05:37:54 UTC 2004

The following is a partial, selective audit trail of a recent conflict that was thrust on me by other users. I post links only to my own changes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2461869&oldid=2461788
(added association of tornadoes with plasma glow discharge in atmosphere)http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2463705&oldid=2461869
(inserted accompanying electromagnetic phenemona associated with tornadoes)http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2520718&oldid=2520712
inserted observed radio emissions from tornadoes and associated (implied) electrical discharges)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2520792&oldid=2520767
((until a better explanation than "no." arises) reinserted observed radio emissions and implied plasma discharges (tornado lightning) and cited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2520888&oldid=2520873
(added similarity of tornado lightning to fluorescent bulbs, cited reference for tornado lighting (also other plasma effects of tornadoes not inserted into entry; point discharge, plasmoids, etcetera))
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2521031&oldid=2520950
added plasmoids and point discharges to known phenomena associated with tornadoes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2521131&oldid=2521093
(rewording of second paragraph, addition of various observed plasma and electromagnetic phenomena associated with tornadoes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2521624&oldid=2521184
(reworded opening of second paragraph, citation supporting observed plasma and electromagnetic phenomena associated with tornadoes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2525630&oldid=2521754
(additional citation, reference to other well-known plasma effects observed in association with tornadoes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2525911&oldid=2525770
(added nocturnal tornadoes and citation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2526048&oldid=2526032
(added reference to rRetired U.S. Army captain Roy S. Hall's family encounter with interior of tornado, cited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2526240&oldid=2526048
(reworded passage about multiple funnels)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2526256&oldid=2526240
(addition of fowl killed and plucked by tornadoes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2526302&oldid=2526256
(clarification of wind plucking falsification)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2526596&oldid=2526588
(addition of observed cellular structure inside tornadoes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2527043&oldid=2526596
(-have)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Tornado&diff=2539152&oldid=2538871
(reinsertion of electromagnetic phenomena as a result of the plasma arcing going on inside tornado, despite Curps insistence that tornadoes are not ass. with these)

I now cite below the first change I made (that started this "war) before I was banned for continuing to advocate on the talk pages for my last edition.

***BEGIN QUOTE***
A '''tornado''' is a violent [[windstorm]] characterized by a twisting, funnel-shaped cloud. The word "tornado" comes from the [[Spanish language|Spanish]] verb "tornar", meaning "to turn." Tornadoes accompany (and obscure) plasma glow discharges in the atmosphere similar to the discharge in a fluorescent light bulb. Nocturnal tornadoes offer opportunity to observe this glow discharge[http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf105/sf105p11.htm].

It is spawned by a [[supercell]] [[thunderstorm]] (or sometimes as a result of a [[hurricane]]) and produced when cool air overrides a layer of warm air, forcing the warm air to rise rapidly.
***END QUOTE***

Now I cite the extant entry.

***BEGIN QUOTE***
A '''tornado''' is a violent [[windstorm]] characterized by a twisting, funnel-shaped cloud. The word "tornado" comes from the [[Spanish language|Spanish]] verb ''tornar'', meaning "to turn."

It is spawned by a [[supercell]] [[thunderstorm]] (or sometimes as a result of a [[hurricane]]) and produced when cool air overrides a layer of warm air, forcing the warm air to rise rapidly. Tornados are sometimes associated with [[lightning]]. Many tornadoes are the tail end of a [[mesocyclone]] and they have a characteristic "hook echo" signature on a radar screen.
***END QUOTE***

Note that this current entry says that tornadoes are spawned by thunder (lightning) storms, and also says they are only "sometimes" "associated with" lightning. Is this accurate?

I think everyone can judge which of these entries is more factual and complete.

Codie Vickers