[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Feb 26 23:07:21 UTC 2004

On 02/26/04 21:27, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> I have here a very old concise encyclopedia.  It's printed with 3
> columns of text.
> World War II takes up 2 full pages of fairly fine print.  Francis
> Scott Key takes up about 1/3 of 1 column, i.e. about 1/9th of a page.
> The Wikipedia entry looks similar to the Francis Scott Key entry.  Our
> World War II entry looks similar, too.

Consider, however, articles like [[John Kerry]] or [[Howard Dean]]
(or similar issues of current history). They have incredible amounts
of detail - of high quality - because they're updated almost live.
But they wouldn't be so relevant for a concise print encyclopedia.

Suggested step: pick your editors to manage the 'print' branch and
let them have their way. As in, the power to say "No."

- d.