[WikiEN-l] Vigilantism or due process

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Thu Feb 26 16:25:31 UTC 2004

Gareth Owen wrote:

>"Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> writes:
>

>>How many people want admins to have the Authority to temp-ban any user
>>who (in their opinion) has violated a community rule?
>>

>Yes, please.
>
>Troublemakers (like Wik, Iriskook and Plautus) only have to show a slight bit
>of subtlety and we bend over backwards to please them, frequently alienating
>actual, useful contributors.

Funny, if you asked Wik, he'd argue that he's the one keeping Wikipedia
free of troublemakers, and that we should perhaps give him ban authority
to keep things happy.  And some people even agree with him (his most
frequent edit-war opponent is [[User:Anthony del Pierro]], who hardly
has a stellar record here himself).

So are we just supposed to ban everyone who some number of people
dislike or thinks are "troublemaker"s?  By that criterion, the following
"troublemakers" would be banned by one person or another:
* Lir,
* Wik,
* 168...
* Plautus Satire
* Irismeister
* RK
* 172
* BL
* OneVoice
* Anthony del Pierro
* Leumi
* Vergina
* etc...

Which I don't think is really a great idea.

-Mark