[WikiEN-l] Vigilantism or due process (was: Plautus)

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 26 15:50:35 UTC 2004

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote

>Sysophood is already too often withheld
from unpopular users (/users holding unpopular views).

Hang on - I haven't observed enough of the process to contradict this
statement; but why have votes if you don't want to expose people as
'unpopular'?  A recent VfA candidate had written some remarkably silly
things about British spelling on a talk page - I didn't vote either way, and
in the end it didn't matter, but this wasn't 'holding unpopular views' so
much as not giving a damn about opinions of a 'minority'.  People who wear
their opinions as a badge of honour obviously do risk not being taken
seriously for an admin job.

Charles