[WikiEN-l] Vigilantism or due process (was: Plautus)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Feb 26 14:06:17 UTC 2004

Erik (Eloquence) has called for a 'return to vigilantism'. I oppose
this. Let's vote.

How many people want admins to have the Authority to temp-ban any user
who (in their opinion) has violated a community rule? (Confession: This
is precisely what I did myself with Wik a couple of weeks ago, so there
is, er, "blood on my hands").

How many people want to decisions on banning (except for clear-cut
"simple vandalism" or "emergencies") to be handled Only By The
Arbitration Committee?

1. Please clarify whether you agree that these are the two alternatives.
2. Please indicate which alternative you want.

If enough of us on the mailing list have strong feelings about this, I
will create a policy polling page on the English Wikipedia, and we can
see if a consensus develops that merits a change in policy.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed

P.S. I'm trying to be impartial about this, even though I have an
opinion.