[WikiEN-l] Re: recipes

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 26 09:04:12 UTC 2004

Peter Jaros wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:13 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> I do get a little hot over these deletion issues. :-)
>
> I understand.  I'm very much against deletion of recipes (and most
> valid information), I just think we need to define the right place for
> them.
>
>> The expression that I found most patronizing  was "it might merit its
>> own section".  I suspect that the subtleties between descriptive and
>> prescriptive or between imperatiuve and indicative might not be
>> meningful to the casual reader who wants to find out about a food
>> and/or how to make it.  The technical detailsof chocolate cakes are
>> not inherently controversial.  If different ways exist for making
>> such a cake, the results of which is better can be entirely subjective.
>
> My point was not about controversy or POV, just about
> appropriateness.  A drink recipe generally describes the drink, while
> a chocolate cake recipe does not describe chocolate cake.  If a
> particular cake recipe is famous and generally significant, I would
> say it warrants its own section or article (regarding its
> significance, history, etc.).  There the recipe *would* describe the
> topic (being the topic itself).

I get the impression now that you blindly walked into an old war, only
to realise that bullets were flying in every direction.  The Battle of
Recipes was only one episode. :-)

The war is between two competing visions of Wikipedia.  One side, the
"deletionists", believes in deleting material which they consider to be
diminishing the reputation and authoritative quality of Wikipedia.  The
other side, the "inclusionists", believes that the purposes of Wikipedia
are better served by having articles in an ever expanding sphere of
knowledge defined in the broadest terms, even if it is in subjects that
others may find trivial.  I am clearly in the latter camp.

I don't work much at Wikibooks, so I am in no position to comment on its
policies.  Producing a cookbook seems well within its mandate.  It would
also seem to me that it would approach a subject in a broader, more
systematic way.  In the course of doing that it should be free to copy
any recipe from Wikipedia that it sees fit.  I even think that Wikibooks
might be a good place for starting the "1.0" project for a stable
printed version of Wikipedia that proponents prefer to only talk about.

If a duplicate os a recipe remains o Wikipedia, no harm is done, and
perhaps when the cookbook in Wikibooks is recognized as a serious
project people won't mind replacing the chocolate cake recipe in
Wikipedia with a statement like, "For a chocolate cake recipe see
[[Wikibooks:Chocolate cake]]", but until then attempts to remove them
will only cause arguments.

Ec