[WikiEN-l] Re: HOWTOs/Recipes/Instructions and other imperativecontent

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Feb 24 15:31:43 UTC 2004

Jimmy-

> I don't buy the argument that recipes are inherently POV.  First of
> all, it's a bit odd to think of a recipe as potentially biased, isn't
> it?  I suppose it's possible for one to be biased about a recipe "This
> is the only proper way to boil an egg".  But it's also entirely
> possible to be NPOV, by giving alternate methods in the same article
> or in different articles.

Well, Jimbo, there are more complicated recipes than boiling eggs ;-). And
the more complicated it is, the more annoying it will be when you're
trying to follow it and have to deal with separating the points of view.
Worst of all, these POVs will become inconsistent with one another, so you
have to follow who is saying what in order to produce something edible.
The egg faction argues .. the milk advocates claim .. but the water
admirers feel ..

I agree with the notion that recipes should be either on Wikibooks, or on
a separate project. What's wrong with that? It's not like content moved to
Wikibooks is somehow lost to the project. We can still link to it.

If someone wants to write an NPOV article *about* a certain recipe, its
history, the different variants etc., than that may have a place in
Wikipedia. But the two are fundamentally different.

I believe Wikibooks also needs more mothers.

Regards,

Erik