[WikiEN-l] Re: HOWTOs/Recipes/Instructions and other imperative content

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Tue Feb 24 00:37:28 UTC 2004

I just want to motivate this a little bit more:

Claim: Wikipedia should not include instructional material.

I believe that instructional material is inherently opinionated: an
instruction comes with the embedded assumption that the method described
is somehow "correct". People only make imperative statements if they
believe that the action they are directing is the "correct" action.  By
making imperative statements, Wikipedia is asserting the opinion that
the instructions themselves are correct. NPOV policy clearly stands
against this: "assert facts, including facts about opinions--but don't
assert opinions themselves."

Let's take the example of recipes. There can be disagreements about how
different dishes are to be prepared. How do you neutralize disagreements
without changing the mood from imperative to indicative?

Example of an instruction from a guacamole recipe:

    Add all the avocado to the bowl, then add the other ingredients. Mix
well.

    vs.

    Add half the avocado to the bowl, then add the other ingredients.
Mix well, then gently stir in the other half of the avocado.

Is either one of these correct? Or should we say "Some chefs suggest
setting aside half the avocado before mixing all the ingredients
together, then gently stirring in the remaining avocado, to ensure the
guacamole has a chunky texture, whereas other chefs prefer the smooth
texture of mixing everything together all at once."

I believe it is the intent of the NPOV not to take sides, even if there
is only one side. Imperative language inherently takes the side of the
instructions, and so should be avoided. Since HOWTOs and recipes use
imperative language, they shouldn't be on the Wikipedia. Much of the
content can perhaps be modified for inclusion on the Wikipedia, but it
has to be rephrased so that each step is not only in the indicative
mood, but is contextualized and/or justified.

Resolved: HOWTOs, recipes, and similar instructional materials should be
located in wikibooks, and Wikipedia articles should contain only NPOV
descriptions and links to the relevant pages in wikibooks.

-- David

On preview, what Delirium said. And I love that we both use guacamole as
the example.