[WikiEN-l] You have no rights (was: Going to Court)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Feb 23 18:08:33 UTC 2004

Are you kidding, Fred? It's more like these plazas you see around
Manhattan which have a little plate set in the concrete saying that
"Easement is revocable at will" or some such -- specifically denying
that any "right" was created just because they put up a fountain and
trees and a few benches.

Jimbo doesn't have to keep this site going. And WikiMedia CAN suddenly
shut it down or go commercial or (shudder) pro-Marxist at any time...

There's no contract. No rights. You and me and mav and thousands of
others have only 1 right: the right to fork. But we are all LITERALLY
"allowed" to post at Jimbo's whim.

Gradually the committees are putting Jimbo out of the "whim business" so
there's a bit of transition going on. But I can shut down the whole
thing anytime with 2 mouse-clicks, and I wouldn't be violating your
rights in any way.

Firmly (but fondly),

Uncle Ed