[WikiEN-l] Going to Court

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 16:49:14 UTC 2004

Fred wrote:
>The passage quoted is at variance with our procedures.
>A signed in user, unless they engage in gross violations
>can expect due process.

Fred, please *read* what I write next time. I used the words "technically and
legally" - that has *nothing* to do with our policies and social norms (what
you call "procedures").

A business still has the technical and legal ability to kick you off their
property any time they want and for whatever reason (even no reason) even
though they almost always let you into their establishment to perform certain
transactions.

My point was that editing Wikipedia is not a right - it is a freely granted
privilege. The trouble with very longstanding freely granted privileges is that
after a while people start to think of them as rights and then start to make
demands.

-- mav