[WikiEN-l] Mediation 168 Mav

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 15:45:31 UTC 2004

Hello all,

This is an update of the current situation between 168 and Mav
disagreement with each other.

As a reminder, Mav requested mediation with 168, officially for abuse of
sysop position, and general disruption
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_mediation#168..._and_maveric149),

168 considers that Mav had an unfair behavior towards him, and that it
had detrimental implications on the way his actions were perceived by
the community.

-------

Some time after Mav requested that 168 behavior as a sysop be examined,
168... was temporarily unsysoped as preventive action, as many editors
thought he was using his sysop power in the wrong way

-------

Today, following a poll, 168 sysophood was restored. Several users
considered the initial unsysoping was meant to be temporary, and that it
had to be kept temporary for the temporary tool to stay usable as a
*temporarily* tool.

Jamesday comment : That's one reason why it's important that 168 be only
a tempoprary de-sysopping. If it is not reversed it will create the
impresion that it was not temporary and people will be reluctant to use
this approach for similar ongoing situations in the future. I urge
everyone to select the poll choice to re-sysop 168, knowing that if
misuse happens again, we can repeat the process rapidly. Jamesday 14:23,
21 Feb 2004 (UTC)

--------

Several people have expressed their opinion that 168 should be
unsysopped, for a short time, or more permanently, or that at least
resysoping should be accompanied of guarantees from 168, that he will
not act again in an alleged bad way (mav, Maximus Rex, Lirath Q. Pynnor,
RickK, Eloquence, Kingturtle, plus other comments)

-------

The resysoping of 168 does not change the initial request of Mav...nor
does it change the initial feeling of unfairness of 168.

Mav and 168 have both written their own factual report of what happened
on DNA and related pages. Reports may have been edited by other people,
but they both agree with at least one report of facts. These are
available here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/168.

 From my opinion, they both agree on facts. But two versions were
necessary, since opinions tended to mix with facts (it is really tough
to be NPOV right :-)).

I am currently trying to decipher the bottom reasons of each to be
rather unhappy with each other. Curiously, I think they might agree on
more than what they think...but well... :-)

-------

I am sure that some people will want to request that 168 is unsysopped
again. I hope they will give a little more discussion time to us before
going on a crusade. I think it is very important.
I just want to reassure Mav that it is not because 168 has been
resysopped that his request is not relevant any more (this in case he
feels like calling for arbitration), to tell 168 that his other concerns
are still valid, and anyone not to put fire on the oil, even if they
currently feel like 168 sysophood is a community matter, not a 168/Mav
matter.

I think these two people are good people, and both good contributors,
perhaps both with nice egos, and there is no terrible hurry. Please,
give them time (well, us :-)).

Thanks

Ant