[WikiEN-l] "Special Permission" flag, or not?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk at mira.net
Fri Feb 20 04:14:23 UTC 2004

It seems to me that the only sensible solution to the image problems we
being discussed is the tagging of images as "GNU FDL" or "fair use".

The remaining question I have is whether we should also support "special
permission" images (that are not free for use outside Wikipedia).

If the only way we can illustrate a topic is by using such images (or
other media), then I think we should do so.  Provided we have a
mechanism by which reusers of our content can avoid downloading them,
it doesn't seem to be a problem.  I do, however, recommend we accept
their use only if it is the only way to provide such images for an
article.

One point WRT "special permission" images is the minimum rights
we should require before accepting it.  Should we require the ability to
reproduce the image in paper or CD editions?  The ability to use
in other Wikimedia projects (such as history textbooks and the like)
perhaps?

                                           Robert Merkel
                                          rgmerk at mira.net
                                        http://benambra.org

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
                -- Albert Einstein
They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.  But they
also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                -- Carl Sagan