[WikiEN-l] Fair use in the UK

Caroline Ford caroline at secretlondon.me.uk
Thu Feb 19 22:43:15 UTC 2004

Nathan Russell wrote:

Fair use is only US. Britain is hardly Saudi Arabia or Noth Korea.

Fair dealing is very different.

I think tagging images with precise details of usage is the way forward.
One problem with only allowing public domain images is that only the US
government puts its images in the public domain. So only US articles
will be properly illustrated.

To be honest, I'd rather people were concentrating on unlabelled images.
We can then decide whether we want to delete all the non-US images that
are used with permission as that is the only way to use them. From this
side of the Atlantic US fair use images are worse than ones we are
legally allowed to use.

We need to go on an image tagging drive. And then have the discussion ON
THE WIKI so that the other 99% of users and contributors are aware of
the debate. Even most adminsitrators don't contribute to the mailing lists.