[WikiEN-l] Some images need to be deleted...

Caroline Ford caroline at secretlondon.me.uk
Wed Feb 18 19:43:17 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Copyrighted
>
>Clicking from here to "What links here" we find:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Whatlinkshere&target=MediaWiki:Copyrighted
>
>It looks like there are only 9 images which purport to be "used with
>permission".  These are not acceptable for Wikipedia.
>
>Under Clause 7 of the license, it's perfectly o.k. to include such
>images in a GNU FDL document as aggregations, so my concern is not
>particularly *license* related.  That is, I don't think our including
>these images is a license violation.  (Images are clearly the sort of
>"separate and independent documents or works" contemplated by that
>section of the license.)
>
>But our goals are loftier and more pure than the GNU FDL.  We want our
>content to be maximally reusable, period.
>
>Therefore, these images should be deleted.
>
>--Jimbo

I'm very upset about this. I am the one who has asked for permission to
use certain images as otherwise there was no way of getting images of,
say, politicians.

I agree that everything should be maximally usuable - but all I have
done is tagged these images, the wiki is full of images that are not
tagged and in many cases not used with permission. This has only come up
because I am doing things by the book.

Remember - fair use does not exist outside the US. If the wiki has fair
use images then it is not maximally usable. However there is no desire
to remove fair use images. We cannot use fair use images in the UK. The
only way of getting pictures is to ask for permission, or to take them
ourselves. All government images are copyrighted.

All I have done is spent some time asking for permission and negotiating
with the press offices of various places. I'm upset that my attempt to
stick to the law,and my many hours work has resulted in this.

Caroline (Secretlondon)