[WikiEN-l] The Block Log

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Feb 18 12:24:59 UTC 2004

Viajero wrote:
> > * Users blocked by Jimbo tend to stay unblocked
> > * Wik gets blocked and unblocked a lot
> > * Raul really wants to block Plautus
> > * Not one "block" citing a Committee decision
>
> Ok, these blocks haven't been strictly by the book, but there isn't one I
> think that was truly uncalled for and calls into question the judgement of
> the concerned admin. Let's keep in mind the *spirit* not just the *letter*
> of the law for a moment. As for Wik, it is not like a variety of people
> haven't put substantial effort into encouraging him to change his ways. In
> vain of course; he is incorrigible.

I want to second this, and make sure that there's no misunderstanding
about where *I* am coming from.  I think that the blocks are not
evidence of sysops acting in bad faith, and my campaign against
vigilantism should not be taken as a disapproval of any particular
block.

It's just that we're going down a path of nearly daily blocks of
logged in users that are contrary to our established precedents, and
we ought to be very cautious about that.

Rest assured, I am not forgetting that these people who are being
blocked *are* pains-in-our-asses.

--Jimbo