[WikiEN-l] Some images need to be deleted...

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Feb 18 11:09:12 UTC 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Copyrighted

Clicking from here to "What links here" we find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Whatlinkshere&target=MediaWiki:Copyrighted

It looks like there are only 9 images which purport to be "used with
permission".  These are not acceptable for Wikipedia.

Under Clause 7 of the license, it's perfectly o.k. to include such
images in a GNU FDL document as aggregations, so my concern is not
particularly *license* related.  That is, I don't think our including
these images is a license violation.  (Images are clearly the sort of
"separate and independent documents or works" contemplated by that
section of the license.)

But our goals are loftier and more pure than the GNU FDL.  We want our
content to be maximally reusable, period.

Therefore, these images should be deleted.

--Jimbo