[WikiEN-l] Re: Anonymous proxies (was Re: Desysop Morwen)

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 19:59:21 UTC 2004

Rich Holton a écrit:
> How about requiring users from known anonymizers to
> login? This still allows for legitimate uses of the
> anonymizers, but helps to restrict vandals.

I like this idea.
I sometimes use anonymous proxies, sometimes transparent ones. I do not
always remember to switch back to regular connection. What usually makes
me think to switch is that a proxy slows down the connection quite a
bit. If the proxy is good, I just forget.

I use anonymous proxies, but I am not a vandal.

If it is vandalism we are afraid of, we must admit that usually the risk
is higher with anonymous editors. If the editor has an editor name, he
can be banned through his name.
So, the idea of restricting use of proxy only when the editor is
anonymous appears to me bright. We reduce the risk of vandalism, whilst
we authorized anymous proxy use for good editors.