[WikiEN-l] Anonymous proxies

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Feb 17 15:12:30 UTC 2004

Charles (Mirv) wondered:

> Are there any *valid* uses for anonymizing proxies, or are they
> used only to vandalize, troll, and dodge hard bans? Can anyone
> think of a situation in which someone might have a legitimate
> purpose for such a tool? Since I can't, I wouldn't object to a
> permanent block of any and all anonymous proxy services.

The only valid reason I can think of, is the case of someone living in a
police state where ANY communication with the free world is considered
/prima facie/ evidence of state treason -- and punished with long, harsh
prison sentences or death.

But they'd be better off e-mailing a trusted friend on the outside and
having their /friend/ post their contributions on their behalf. I have
no doubt that even the anonymizing proxies can be backtraced, if some
"intelligence service" really wants to make the effort.

The fact is, anyone can contribute to Wikipedia. Just create a handle
and start typing. People who don't want their contributions tracked are
subverting the WikiWiki principle and should not be helped. (If you're
contributing at the risk of your life, contact ME and I'll set up
something safe for you through the underground.)

Ed Poor