[WikiEN-l] A disturbing pattern (was: OneVoice)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Feb 17 13:55:38 UTC 2004

Viajero observed:

> OneVoice may be sincere about wanting to work with others but
> as far as actually discussing the issues goes I have found I
> get absolutely nowhere with him on the Talk pages.  A sense of
> working together in a collaborative fashion towards a
> collective goal -- describing the issues in a neutral way
> without taking sides -- simply doesn't emerge.

I have seen this pattern several times over the past few years. A
contributor /says/ they want to work together with others to make a
'neutral' article on a controversial topic. But then they focus too much
on getting /their/ POV into the article (or keeping out /other/ POVs.

Let's not take extreme measures, when we see this pattern. Let's find a
long-term strategy that really works. I can't think of one, right now,
but I'm sure it has something to do with ME setting a good example of
both courtesy and impartiality.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed